Old 06-12-17, 07:15 PM
trail_monkey

Bikes: Soma B Side, Soma Wolverine, Salsa Fargo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Questions about vintage Raleigh of England bike

I deleted my reply to another post I started the other day and decided to start a fresh topic about this bike......

So here are some pics of a couple Raleighs at this bike dump. I can have anything out of here as can anyone. The place is for people who want a bike. The first set of pics I will show are of the most promising bike. It is a frame size that could actually fit me. I just don't know if it is worth doing anything with. The frame seems in outstanding shape but due to a lot of scratches and some surface rust it would probably be better to have it media blasted and repainted or powder coated. Notice on the one pic of the lug, it has a bubble. It is not rust but at first I thought it was a run in the paint but then I thought maybe it was a bad braze from the factory where the metal flowed out of the joint and deposited on the lug. I don't know if that's what it is or not but I am not too concerned about it. The Nitto stem from this Raleigh came home with me a few months ago and went on my Panasonic as it had a much longer quill and I needed more rise out of the bars on my Panasonic. The original drops went in the trash at the time but they were nothing special. They were standard run of the mill chrome steel drop bars similar to every other 70s and 80s huffy sitting over there. The seat post is nothing special either. It is just a chromed seat post that takes a cheap bike seat with a built in seat post clamp. Again a cheap huffy style part. It has downtube shifters but they are clamp on not brazed on lugs. There also is no bottle cage bosses. The bottle cage on the bike is held on with built in clamps on the cage. I did not look too closely to the wheels to see if they were steel or aluminum but this bike didn't feel overly heavy. I wonder if this has decent wheels? The serial number on this top tube lug (in front of the seat post) is 2822649. Any info would be appreciated.

EDIT According to this website Raleigh Serial Numbers & Charts the serial number as well as it's location make this bike a 1972. Funny on Sheldons site his numbers do not match up. Sheldon says they have a letter with the number but this one is just a number. The only thing I am having a hard time figuring out is that front fork lug. I looked at old Raleigh catalogs through the 70s and I did not see one model that had a front fork with 2 chromed discs in the lug. I am at a loss as to what year this really is.
Attached Images
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rear hub.jpg (101.7 KB, 84 views)
serial.jpg (96.4 KB, 86 views)
shifters.jpg (102.7 KB, 83 views)
whole bike.jpg (99.1 KB, 84 views)
bb.jpg (100.7 KB, 84 views)
braze.jpg (96.9 KB, 85 views)
crank.jpg (100.2 KB, 82 views)
england.jpg (98.2 KB, 83 views)
fork.jpg (101.8 KB, 84 views)
front brake.jpg (98.6 KB, 84 views)
front hub.jpg (94.7 KB, 83 views)
logo.jpg (97.8 KB, 84 views)
qr.jpg (100.9 KB, 84 views)
rear derailleur.jpg (101.9 KB, 85 views)
badge.jpg (98.7 KB, 83 views)

Last edited by trail_monkey; 06-12-17 at 07:29 PM.