View Single Post
Old 06-14-17, 07:23 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by MojojoM
A little over a year ago I broke my tibia and fibula, not on my bicycle, but rather my motorcycle. I caught my foot on a concrete bumper while pulling out of a parking space.

I had a rod placement that was removed two months after the insertion.

Before this I had been recovering from a crash on my bicycle. I was riding hard into a uphill turn and had a front tire puncture. Needless to say I went down immediately and hard. I fell on a twenty-six year old hip replacement. Thankfully the replacement held, but I was in quite a bit of pain with limited motion for a while.

I say all of that to say this. It has been about eighteen months since I've done anything except sit at my desk at work and walk to and from my car.

I rode my bicycle today for the first time in that time frame.

I rode about a mile and climbed one very short, but moderately steep hill. My thighs were were on fire. I have never experienced anything like it. I've had a little burn, but this made my eyes water and my legs shake. I suppose I'm simply out of shape like I've never been before. I'm 60 years old and want to get back to where I was. I was riding thirty to forty miles a day four or five times a week before my injuries. I was climbing hills on a regular basis.

Is there anyone here that has experienced anything similar after a long inactive injury recovery period?

Any input is appreciated.
I had a fib and tib break about 20 years ago in a climbing accident, and cycling was part of my rehab program. It took me about 10 years to get back to the level of skiing I was at prior to the accident. I lost about 10 degrees of motion in the ankle, and still have a plate and 7 screws holding it together.

Why did you wait so long? Just get on your bike and ride.