Old 06-16-17, 10:53 AM
wheelhot

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix, 2007 Giant Anthem, Polygon Quatro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chader09
The S-Works always gets the Gucci carbon, no matter the basic goals of the bike, so that makes sense to me.

I get you point on sluggish now. Yeah, it won't feel snappy like a race bike, but that is really the point of this bike. To make it more comfortable on less than ideal surfaces (crap roads and gravel specifically).

The BB drop is 85mm with the stock 38c tires. that is super low compared to just about every "road bike I have seen. They range around 70-75mm drop from what I have seen. That means you are already 10-15mm lower compared to a regular bike. So the stock setup is low for cornering. They did the low bb for stability on loos surfaces and it makes perfect sense. But as with anything, there is no change without compromise.

Then if you drop to 25-28c tires, you will be REALLY low.
Aah, I never did this comparison before (cause this time I'm planning to sell my first gen Giant Anthem for either a Diverge or Roubaix), so never realise the usual BB drop for an average road bike. And you mention pedal strike tendencies cause of the low BB, but wouldn't during turning, we'll raise up our left or right leg depending on the direction we turn to so the tendencies to pedal strike is pretty much null??

Originally Posted by curttard
I hope one of the reviewers finds out what the difference is, if any, between these E5 bikes and the E5 DSW of last year.

Also, it's a real bummer that the E5s only allow 38mm tires instead of 42mm like the carbons.
You mean in terms of compliance? Not sure if they'll be able to do since the change in geometry, though my guess is E5 DSW will probably be lighter (excluding FutureShock) due to less weld putty?

And yeah, it's only 38mm tires for E5s, I wonder why. The plus side is, the entry level carbon is lower then last year though you do get 10 speed and upgrading to 105 11 speed will probably bring the price back to the 2017 Carbon Diverge