View Single Post
Old 12-26-05, 01:55 AM
mtnroads

Bikes: Spec Roubaix Expert, Cannondale CAAD12, Jamis Quest ELite, Jamis Dragon Pro, Waterford ST-22

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ElanaB
Hi, I'm looking to buy a new bike at my LBS, a Trek/Lemond/Giant dealer. I'm going to be using this bike for long distance touring (with a sag wagon, so I'm not carrying any gear) as well as for regular riding. I tested a Trek 5,000, whose fit I was not impressed with, and then rode a Lemond Versailles (men's version), which fit me a lot better. I want to spend under $2,000.

A few questions:

*Would anyone recommend riding just carbon over a mix of carbon and steel? I toured a lot last summer and experienced quite a bit of back pain, but then again I was riding an aluminum bike.
*I am thinking about upgrading to the Buenos Aires, because it has more ultegra components than the Versailles. It doesn't, however, have a women's model. I am 5'8" tall female...do any of the taller women out there really prefer the geometry of the Lemond women's models over the men's?
*I have heard some good things about the Specialized Roubaix Elite. Upon a bit of investigation, its components seem a step down from the Buenos Aires, but it's a carbon bike. Would anyone recommend this over the 2 Lemond models?

Thanks so much! Elana
Hi Elana,
I have a couple of roadbikes of differing styles, so perhaps can offer a couple of suggestions. I have Trek 2100 carbon/AL racing style bike similar to those you have looked at, and a Trek 520 touring that has been mentioned here. I use both for general riding and the 520 for occasional camping tours.

For general riding, the 2100 is incrementally faster (about 1-2 mph avg faster on a 2 hr ride) because it is a bit lighter and stiffer for climbing, integrated shifters, better aerodynamics, and probably as much because I generally wear full kit and ride ridiculously hard when I am out on it. Hard not to go fast and work hard on the fast bikes! It is rewarding for those purposes, and it is suprisingly comfortable for 30-40 mile rides due to the carbon seat stays, carbon fork and 25mm tires. I would say this bike would compare generally to the Lemond or Spec Roubaix you are considering, so my comments are meant to apply to them in your considerations. This type of bike will do CC touring fine, once you get a seatpost rack or handlebar pack on it to carry stuff. A sporting way to go touring, and once home it will serve well for fitness riding, club rides and the general speeding around in full kit sort of thing.

For longer rides, or when I just want to relax and enjoy the scenery, I take my 520, which in comparison to the 2100, is plush. All steel, about 8 lbs heavier, a bit slower, not as flashy, but great for just about everything. I have a Brooks saddle and back rack on it, and often use a handlebar bag too, when out for the day. I can take it down a gravel or dirt road without a worry. It is geared low, so I can mosey over hill and dale all day long without wearing out. Since it is less flashy, I don't feel I have to compete with others on the road, but I can easily ride 60-80 miles a day on it. It really fits my preferred riding style and if I had only one road bike, this would be it. A credit card tourists dream, imho, and many use them for that. But not as trendy or flashy for those club rides. Similar although more expensive bikes might be a Rivendell Atlantis or other semi-custom steel bike.

I think that you need to think about what type of riding you will be doing most of the time. Either bike will do the credit card tour, the 520 a bit more comfortably, the sporty bike a bit more quickly. But what will you be doing when you are riding at home?

On the Lemond bikes. I always heard that they were a traditional racing geometry with a long top-tube compared with the newer compact frames, resulting in a long reach. My understanding is that most women have a shorter torso length relative to legs, which is often better met with women specific designs that have a slightly shorter top tube and some other alterations. Several brands have them, including Trek WSD. But if a Lemond feels good, then by all means go for it.

On Specialized. I have heard a lot of good things about the Specialized Roubaix - supposedly very comfortable in ride and seating position, and Spec in general make excellent bikes.

On components - anything with 105 or above should be fine for many years of riding pleasure.

Last edited by mtnroads; 12-26-05 at 02:09 AM.