View Single Post
Old 06-19-17, 05:35 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
No, I don't think social pressure per se is a major force in convincing people to drive. Any more than it is to convince them to use electricity. Living in a society where such things are the norm and readily available certainly enables greater usage, but that they are the norm is more social reality than social pressure.

I don't really see the psychological liberation in giving up either of these things, but I appreciate that it could exist for some.
But it's not just social "pressure"... It's also physical, the way cities are laid out, the way infrastructure favour's vehicles, the easier way you can get to your job and not use a bus, and roll up with a "Cadillac" instead of a "nova", err Prius C, pushes you to own a car/vehicle/and today that vehicle has become a pick-up truck, (the "worst type" of vehicle for transporting people, that gets 1/2 or even 1/4 of the gas mileage, well because you can afford it, and well also because a truck is "better than a car" in the/your social standing's, around here anyways...

Last edited by 350htrr; 06-19-17 at 05:56 PM. Reason: add stuff