View Single Post
Old 06-19-17, 10:23 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by daacrusher2001
Hi All, I've perused the various lock discussions and I'm probably more confused than I was when I started...LOL - cut me some slack, I'm an old guy...

I don't live in a high crime area - but we do day trips and sometimes leave our bikes outside of a restaurant or someplace like that.

I've watched a lot of videos - it seems pretty much every lock can be defeated - that said, I'm not parking the bike in NYC, or overnight, or for many hours. I get that a through-hardened chain with a military lock will be pretty secure but I don't know if I need it. I may get one to lock the bikes to the car and the bike rack to the car when we travel with them.

It never occurred to me to lock my tires to the frame, chain my seat, etc...the videos have made me paranoid.

That said, I'm looking for a pretty secure lock that's not overly heavy and long enough to lock two bikes together - and I'd prefer a combination lock but it seems like they are never recommended.

Right now, LiteLock looks very interesting. Seems light enough, flexible, and I can get two and lock the bikes together or we can each use one of them.

Open to other recommendations - the "U" locks seem restrictive, but secure enough for what I will use it for.

Thoughts?

If I was you, I would get the following for your wheels, seat postand frame/bike.

ABUS NutFix M5 Axle Set- Euro 32.69 - Takes care of Front and Rear Wheel
ABUS NutFix M5 SPC Seat Post -Euro 25.13 - Takes care of your seat post
ABUS Granit X-Plus 540 U-Lock- Euro 73.03 - 300mm includes EaZy-KF Frame Holder
Delivery . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . - Euro 19.95

That comes to Euro 150.80, but you then have security that will last you a lifetime and is worthy of a $5,000 bike.

The above is advice that I follow as best I can.

The NutFix has only been out for a little while, so I often use additional U-Locks, but when I obtain some of these NutFix bolts, then I will be able to carry less U-Locks with me, when I am going to certain areas.