Old 06-20-17, 07:39 PM
BNB

Bikes: road, mtb, tandem, gravel, tt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
First ride with downpour rain and mud (it was sunny when I left!) - not used to this New England weather yet. Got "lucky" enough to ride behind a grader on dirt road. Not fun. Returned with wicked dirty bike.

Hy/Rd first impression: first, I found them difficult to align without rubbing the rotor but attainable. Very tight tolerance. Still, a pita compared to BB7. No disc noise from start, to bedding-in and then dry part of the ride. Loved the quiet for as long as it lasted. Loads of noise after rain and mud; the front brake squealed a lot with wet and mud. I cannot tell any difference whatsoever in the braking power over the BB7. But I will fall for these calipers if they continue to be quiet in dry conditions and if the pads never rattle inside the caliper (the bb7 pads will rattle when hitting bumps and I find I have to constantly brake to reseat them.)

Tomorrow is 115 miles. The slack angles are what I asked for given my aging and aching body. It's all about comfort for me now and that's why I chose steel. I want to continue riding long rides as late in life as possible! I will cut down the steerer tube when I'm sure of the best height for me.

Originally Posted by zymphad
Meh, weird looking to me, those extreme slack angles and that stem.

Have fun with it. I'm interested in your feedback about the Hy/Rd brakes.