Old 06-21-17, 07:58 PM
Haffassa Tempt

Bikes: N + 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 1 Post
What Happened to the Original Moosegoose?

Many years ago (we're talking 1980) a friend helped me get a bike to shred the skatepark (SF Bay Area). He was a BMX racer who happened to know Danny Oakley, Mongoose's factory team rider. Danny had a prototype Moosegoose frame that he was using for testing/development before launch and apparently was willing to part with it for some cash.

Wallet slightly lighter, I was now the owner of THE prototype Moosegoose frame, painted flat black, various scratches, nothing special to look at other than the additional length of head tube and seat tube to help gangly riders' knees clear the bars. Mongoose released them in Show Chrome, Candy Black/Blue, and Red. My friend had access to lots of parts and helped me with the build-up. It was so long ago, but I vaguely recall putting on yellow Skyway wheels, Comp III tires, a yellow Kashimax MX seat, (I think) a yellow Toughneck, and yellow grips.

So, I'm curious, not quite 40 years later, where did this one-of-a-kind frame end up? Is it still around with stories to tell? Buried in a landfill? Melted? If this bike is still alive, I'm sure all the parts would have been changed. Needle in a haystack I tell ya.