Thread: USA Cycling.org
View Single Post
Old 06-24-17, 08:08 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have very little knowledge of them, but I get the sense they're floundering, but I think it's a structural, if not societal thing. Especially if what I've observed at the local level is any indication. We've got the one big mega-club (CRCA) with all its sub-teams, which puts on a bunch of club races and a handful of open races, some other non-CRCA teams who, as far as I know, don't hold their own races, and a couple of promoters who have put together some series I've enjoyed participating in. While most events seem reasonably well-organized, it doesn't seem like anyone knows (or much cares) what anyone else is doing, and if you scratch the surface, you realize how very tenuous the whole thing is. I thought I might lend a hand on the CRCA board, but when I tried to find out a little more about what the jobs entailed, I couldn't get an answer. Most of the positions went uncontested, and they had to beg people to run for others. One would think a club as big as CRCA might be representative of how structurally sound USAC is, but I hope it isn't. There's just a small handful of people who make everything happen, and far too many racers fail to help; again, on the local level, it's shameful how many club members neglect their marshaling duties, and don't even know the rules.

Meanwhile, the whole "competing with oneself" or "personal best" culture seems (at least partially) antithetical to the notion of sanctioned competitive racing, so their foray into the world of Gran Fondos just seems awkward and forced to me.