View Single Post
Old 03-30-03, 10:46 PM
a2psyklnut

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll add to Joe's suggestion. Start with a 2x4 flat on the ground, then up on it's side (4" side up), then move up to a 2x6, then a 2x4 on two aluminum cans.

Here's a tip I used to teach my wife. I spent an afternoon teaching her how to lift the rear wheel only. She pretty much knew how to wheelie, so I taught her to do a rear wheel hop.

Roll along at a pretty slow pace, Middle ring up front 3 or 4 gear in back (easy pedalling, but with some resistance).

Start in a neutral position, body weight centered on the bike. As you're rolling, you want to simultaneously lean forward by bending your arms, and pulling your chest toward the bars (more forward and down vs. just forward), while tucking your feet back an up. Your back wheel should do a little hop!

keep doing this until you're comfortable. This is the motion you need to learn in order to get your back wheel up.

Watch a cat jump. Compress your body down and back. Lift your front wheel, then extend out your arms trying to "push" the bike forward. Then shift your body weight forward (to neutral, not Too Far Forward), then do the leg tuck thing! Viola! You've just bunny hopped.

Practice over an obstacle. For some reason your mind will not jump unless there is something to jump over!

L8R
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW, What a Ride!" - unknown
"Your Bike Sucks" - Sky Yaeger