MookieBlaylock

Bikes: 1990 Miyata 914, 1989 Centurion Ironman Master

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
OK, Mookie, hang on:

Either the 1050 105 RD or Tricolor RD will shift up to 10 speed, no problemo. Same with the crankset.

If your current rear hub is a Shimano 7 speed freehub with a cassette, you can make it an 8/9/10 speed wheel by removing the narrow freehub and replacing it with a wider one. Look this up on the InterWebs for actual instruction on removal/replacement. Cost = maybe $30 max.

Easy to buy either downtube shifters of 8-9-10 speed indexing, or STI shifters (9-10 easier to find in STI- land, any Shimano level will do just fine).

Frame does not require cold setting, altho you can do it if you want to.

The whole dealio requires new cables and housing, or course, and likely bar wrap. But really, just a couple hours of work...
I don't mind the work. I like learning too. And I don't mind putting money into this bike.

I will have to look at everything you said later. I guess another option would be to get new wheels. However, this would be 130mm spacing with the newer freehubs and probably require a spacer of some kind too to accommodate the 7 speed cassette it appears.

Interesting that you say the 6400 tricolor derailleur would shift to all gears. And that includes the indexing? That seems like a dumb question. I guess I've never considered having to shift to more than 7 gears.

Thanks

Last edited by MookieBlaylock; 06-24-17 at 09:25 PM.