Old 06-25-17, 08:04 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
Originally Posted by rccardr
The answer is yes. You can get a set of later 130 OLD wheels and they will fit in just fine without cold setting. If you keep a 7 speed cassette just put a 4.5mm spacer in first, then the cassette and lock ring.

If you are OK with friction shifting with those new wheels, then an 8-9-10 speed cassette will only require a new chain and some adjusting of the limit screws and cable to accommodate the wider cassette. I've not had Jetboy's issue with the FD, but if you do, a 5600-5700 FD only costs about $10-15 and looks enough like tricolor to blend in.

Sroller, that RD will work just fine on 9-10 speed as well. You've probably noticed that the design is a trickle-down from the previous Tricolor 600, so the geometry is the same. All of the 1050-1051-1055-1056-640X-5500-5600-5700-6500-6600-6700 stuff is pretty much interchangeable and works well together, especially with downtube shifters.
Thanks Doc, and this is why a poem was actually written about him.
I remember a year ago or so I asked on this this thread would a 6 speed shimano derailleur work for 7 speed shifters. I knew they would but for whatever reason couldn't get mine to shift so I started doubting myself. Rccardr said of course they will then posted a pic of his beautiful 1986 modernized 10 speed. And that brought me to my senses.

I try to stay away from mechanical questions simply cause I'm not a mechanic. Having witness myself with my uncle Joe, true mechanics have a way of problem solving that impresses me.
Mostly due to having limited bike money I always do my own work on bikes even before I aquired an Ironman. I have enough triathlon, swimming, biking, running, and bike maintenance books to fill a small library. My latest bike maintenance book was published in 87 or 88 about the year I bought it. However now with the more modern groups I have to Google it, and anything beyond a screw on freewheel is modern to me.
But some bike things are just a mystery. Like the last time I rode my MV . I went to shift and it wouldn't shift to the next easier gear, I shifted again and it did. I figured my rear derailleur just need the cable barrel adjustment tightened. Then I ran through all my gears up and down and it would shift fine with an extra click. I finish my ride no problem, I get home and what I initially thought was the problem was the problem. I just needed to tighten the barrel adjuster. But it was So very slack, I couldn't figure out how it got That slack in one day!