View Single Post
Old 06-25-17, 07:15 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Stop obsessing. You're on a vacation, or maybe even a trip of a lifetime, and you don't need to fret over something that doesn't matter.

I'm not saying to ignore it, so spin the wheel unloaded and make sure the hub isn't binding, and that nothing is brushing the spokes, because you don't want the front wheel to lock up.

But if the wheel spins free, and you don't see what may be a safety isues, ignore the sounds until/unless it changes or gets worse. Given that oil at the nipples, and/or tightening the wheel slightly changed it, you can reasonably assume it's spoke/nipple/rim related. As such, it'll either be OK, or there's nothing you can do about it anyway.

So keep an eye (ear) on it, but put it in the back of your mind and focus on enjoying your trip.

BTW - don't use more oil on the nipples which only serves to mask rather than solve the real issue (if there is one).

Have a great trip, let us know how things turn out when you;re back home.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.