View Single Post
Old 06-26-17, 07:13 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10971 Post(s)
Liked 7,498 Times in 4,194 Posts
Originally Posted by brian_rides
Hey,

I hear a lot about switching from 27 to 700c and the pros and cons of both sides. One opinion, which I appreciate, is the old "Why switch? There are still a lot of great 27 inch wheels". My question is WHERE?

I'm currently tuning up my new 84' Fuji Touring Series IV and realize the difficulties that may come along with swapping size (possibly need new brakes etc) so I would love to be able to stay 27".

What should I be looking for? What are these "decent 27 wheels"?
I see it mentioned fairly often that 27" TIRES are readily available.
quality 27" wheels though?...those would probably need to be handbuilt.

I would agree that 27" tires are available which are good quality- relatively light, relatively supple, relatively flat resistant, etc.

An inexpensive 27" rim that is still pretty good quality is the Sun CR18. It has a traditional box shape that fits 80s bikes, double walled which is better quality than old single wall, and I found they built up easily.

Here is a 4 page thread with 27" tire options.
http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...-thread-4.html

Basically- any folding 27" made by Panaracer or Schwalbe will be good quality.
Panaracer Pasela is light and soft, but doesnt have great protection. The Pasela PT has a puncture shield of some sort.
Most 27" tires are 1", 1 1/8", or 1 1/4". But this tire is 1 3/8", if you want something a bit wider and comes in black sidewall or tan. ---> SwiftTire 27? x 1 3/8? Tire ? Made by Panaracer ? SWIFTTIRE

I prefer 700c because of rim and tire options, but have a 27" wheel bike still and if anything it looks better since the slightly larger wheels blend with the large frame. But with an '84 Fuji, the canti brake mount height might not allow for a smaller size rim. A good double walled handbuilt wheelset will work incredibly well in this case.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 06-26-17 at 07:16 AM.