View Single Post
Old 06-26-17, 07:23 AM
daacrusher2001

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by daacrusher2001
Hi All, I've perused the various lock discussions and I'm probably more confused than I was when I started...LOL - cut me some slack, I'm an old guy...

I don't live in a high crime area - but we do day trips and sometimes leave our bikes outside of a restaurant or someplace like that.

I've watched a lot of videos - it seems pretty much every lock can be defeated - that said, I'm not parking the bike in NYC, or overnight, or for many hours. I get that a through-hardened chain with a military lock will be pretty secure but I don't know if I need it. I may get one to lock the bikes to the car and the bike rack to the car when we travel with them.

It never occurred to me to lock my tires to the frame, chain my seat, etc...the videos have made me paranoid.

That said, I'm looking for a pretty secure lock that's not overly heavy and long enough to lock two bikes together - and I'd prefer a combination lock but it seems like they are never recommended.

Right now, LiteLock looks very interesting. Seems light enough, flexible, and I can get two and lock the bikes together or we can each use one of them.

Open to other recommendations - the "U" locks seem restrictive, but secure enough for what I will use it for.

Thoughts?
Above is my original post. My interest is still the same - "pretty secure lock, not overly heavy, long enough to lock two bikes together" - maybe I should have asked the question differently. I noted right in the beginning that I know any lock can be defeated with the right tools.

I had seen the LiteLock, thought it might be ok, seems like the Abus folding lock might work as well. I need reasonable strength, as light as I can get, with some flexibility.

Not owning a bike, making my bike look beat up, using a cheap bike, etc...that's not where I'm at. I have a nice bike and I want to ride it, and I want it to be there when I get back if I need to lock it up.