View Single Post
Old 12-26-05, 10:11 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
So, instead of a $10, 10 gram Third Eye that installs easily and works extremely well, you recommend a $40, 52 gm device that requires major disassembly to install and doesn't work any better. Makes sense to me.
Occasionally, when something really serious happens to the chain, it will get pushed under the "Jump Stop" or a similar device and, then, you really get a mess in your hands. The device will contribute to chain deformation. In addition, you somehow have to get the chain out, while on the road. You can be sure to get your hands covered in grease, unless you carry gloves for those occasions. Some will just choose to pull the chain out by force, messing it up more.

In my experience, while the stop screw is important, the chain will jump sometimes anyway off the smallest ring, particularly when there is a considerable size difference between the small and middle. The AJ Guard eliminates the jumps period. The Guard requires no fine-tuning of any sort such as the 'Jump Stops'. When the chain actually tries to jump, the fine-tuning of the latter will get messed up. So, yes, I advocate spending the $40 and dedicating quality time to your bike.