View Single Post
Old 06-28-17, 10:00 PM
sooznd

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dave- I am new to this forum and don't know you at all. However I do have a son who was diagnosed with a mental illness when he was only 19. He will soon be 38. So that is half his life. He is on numerous medications and this past year was diagnosed with diabetes as well. I have struggled and grieved a long side him, watching his hopes and dreams never materialize.
I have also observed his courage and resilience as he attempted to finish college, and after 7 years he got his diploma with honors.
Today people stigmatize mental illness. People can have cancer or any other physical illness and everyone feels sorrow and empathy. For the mentally ill they hold contempt. We need to change this idea.
Keep riding your bike. Don't over analyze. Volunteer your time for some organization you feel passionate about. Take the focus off yourself, you have nothing to be ashamed of. Find a good support group, don't take this burden all alone.
You are stopping this cycle in your family. You are a beacon of light for future generations. Some time in the future, likely long after we are gone, mental illness will be looked at differently and there will be new treatments available. Best wishes to you.