View Single Post
Old 07-01-17, 07:13 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5811 Post(s)
Liked 2,641 Times in 1,465 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I find those types of lies exceptionally annoying.

I can't say how I would respond if I was a bike shop owner, but I could well turn someone away if I thought they were lying to me.

How many cousins in need of a trade-in does a used car salesman have? Which, of course, your car would be perfect as long as you could give him the family discount.
I'm sorry I ruffled your feathers, or anyone else's. You're looking at the wrong side of the coin. It's not what the OP says to a dealer, since he doesn't owe anybody an explanation in the first place. It's what he doesn't say.

I know of enough dealers who have become very territorial about sales in their backyard. So my point was to avoid possibly rankling the dealer by not saying it was a locally bought bike.

Whether you say nothing, an innocuous lie, or the truth is up to you.

BTW comparisons to used car dealers is not apt. The OP isn't selling anything, nor is he asking for a favor, he's the CUSTOMER.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.