Old 07-04-17, 08:51 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by zymphad
I do not believe for a second that the pros are using disc bikes because discs are safer, better and going to help them win.

I truly believe, not an ounce of doubt, the brands are forcing pros to ride disc because they know, it's the only way to get gullible consumers to buy new road bikes with disc.
Or, not

Bike manufacturers were putting disc brakes on road and endurance bikes several years before they were allowed into races by the UCI. If they were still barred from competition, manufacturers would still offer them, and some consumers would still buy them.

In addition, top tier riders like Kittel have more than enough leverage to stick to rim brakes if they want. There is no way a top tier sprinter will use a bike that could potentially lose a sprint.

Seem evident to me, the brands have become stagnant with road bikes...
Yes, bikes are mature. That doesn't actually change anything about the argument, because it doesn't negate the technical advantages of disc; and because manufacturers were offering those bikes regardless of the UCI rules.

Seems to me, that's the one gimmick you can market to anyone, no matter how fat, slow, skinny, or fast you are. Disc brakes are safer. Clearly that's why cyclists crash, and get his by cars, it's the rim brake's fault. The excuse disc brakes are better in the rain is moronic to me too. Why are cyclists riding so fast in the rain that rim brakes are failing?
Or:

Disc brakes work better in wet and muddy conditions, and offer better modulation. They offer a superior option for carbon rims, which don't work well with rim brakes. It's also an opportunity to offer improvements like hydraulic brakes and thru-axles.

As to why cyclists are riding fast in the rain -- you do know we're talking about a professional sport here, where the fastest rider wins. Right? Amateurs also can ride at speeds and in conditions where better braking offers more control, a better experience, and a slightly safer ride.

It's not a radical change. Switching to disc won't eliminate every crash. But it will help in some situations.

Also I see thousands of cyclists who commute in the rain on OLD steel bikes with rim brakes that have half the stopping power of my dual pivot Shimano rim brakes. And I don't see them crashing, they are stopping fine. But I guess that's because they aren't elite racers who are trying to KOM in the rain.
So, that's the standard here? Commuters who stop every other block don't desperately need disc brakes, therefore no one does? Seems odd.