Old 07-04-17, 10:18 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Reportedly Shimano improved their pads within the past few years and may work as well as Kool Stops. The only Shimano pads I've been dissatisfied with were almost 10 years old and age-hardened.

Much as I like Kool Stops, there are other pads equal to them.

On my errand bike V-brakes I have Kool Stops (replaceable pads in cassettes) on the front, and some generic pads supplied by the LBS on the back. The new generic pads work just as well.

On my Univega with cantilever brakes, I put on Kool Stop Eagle 2 (sometimes called "Eagle Claw" by some retailers) pads front and back. The thick Eagle 2 pads interfered with dropping the front wheel for flat repairs, so I replaced them with Jagwire thin line pads that were longer and arced to match the rim. The Jagwire pads work just as well. I'm saving the second set of Kool Stops for the back when those eventually wear out.

I do like the plow tip on the Eagle 2 pads. Besides scraping the rim clean, they also ease the toe-in adjustment process. But this is mainly an advantage with some cantilever brakes (my 1990s Shimano canti brakes are a PITA to adjust perfectly) and V-brakes (not quite as much hassle). It wouldn't offer any advantage with some brake types. For example, my road bike's older side pull brakes don't need any toe-in adjustment. Just align them on the rim, crank down the bolt, done.