View Single Post
Old 07-09-17, 05:40 AM
arty dave

Bikes: 30's Speedwell Club Racer, 40's Speedwell 'Z' racer, 50's Unknown Aussie with nice lugs, 50's Speedwell Roadster, 50's Repco Roadster, '63 Raleigh DL-1, 70's Raleigh Sprite, Puch Promenade with Nexus 8

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 23 Posts
I've been having a fun read of this sub-forum, have a lot more insight into the humble 3-speed, and lots of tips towards what I'm doing with my '63 DL-1...sigh...got to about the 250th page when the photobucket ban set in not quite half way!!! grrr

I did a fair bit of dismantling today, managed to catch every single headset bearing - weirdly the crown race just slipped off after removing a bit of hardened grease. After cleanup it sits with no snugness at the base of the fork tube. Can't see any wear, and I didn't feel any looseness in the handling on test rides.

So much spider vein type rust has spread underneath the paintwork right down to the metal, I'm going to have to re-paint. It's at least 50% of all the paintwork. Next jobs - cotter pin removal and straightening one of the fork legs.

I did end up buying a '65 front drum and a sturmey archer wheel, so also have to work out some measurements for ordering spokes. Metal pulley wheel is in the post!

Last edited by arty dave; 07-09-17 at 05:44 AM.