Old 07-10-17, 09:18 AM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Rowan needed an ETA for Canada.
I hold a dual citizenship: Canadian-Australia. I can come and go as I please between both countries.
Australia and New Zealand have an arrangement. As Australians, Rowan and I can come and go between both countries.

A month in Canada, several hours in NZ, and remaining in Australia until the next time we want to go somewhere.
So no visa were needed then. I wonder why he's talking about visas then.

The hottest temperatures I've ridden in are over 40C with 90+% humidity. Southern Manitoba can get surprisingly hot and humid. But I've also ridden in those conditions in California, Germany, Queensland, Victoria (state in Australia), and most recently, on Vancouver Island a couple weeks ago. It's borderline comfortable. It's fine if I've eased into it and have become used to it. It can be a bit of a shock if I've gone from temps in the teens to temps in the high 30s/low 40s ... as I did a couple weeks ago on Vancouver Island.
How do you sweat out heat when the air temperature is higher than body temperature? Was the humidity low enough for the wind to cool you? How much water did you go through? I tried hiking with a fairly heavy pack last summer in the high 90s and it was all but impossible. I had to stop so often and I didn't bring enough electrolytes so I started getting numbness and muscle cramps. I was drinking filtered river water, which some people don't seem to mind, but I found it hard to stay quenched with all the tanin.

I spent December touring Queensland in 2004 ... December is summer there and gets very hot. So yes, tent camping in the high 30s/low40s.
Did you go to sleep without washing, or did you have shower options? Did you hand wash clothes and, if so, how many days would you leave them dirty before washing them? Were you able to keep them as clean as you'd like, or do you just settle for what you can achieve with hand-washing?

I have travelled and cycled in southeastern US. My brother and his family live there.
Was it humid? Was it sunny or shady where you cycled? Did you find the sunlight particularly direct, or comparable with other sub-tropic regions you've toured?

My ideal cycling conditions would be from 25C to about 32C, but once I'm acclimatised, hotter is OK.
I like heat if I can manage it. I like walking without a pack in heat, for example. The hot breeze puts me in what I can only describe as sort of a drowsy state, but I won't get to wet from sweat if I just keep moving at a very light pace. Biking makes it easier to stay cool/dry with the breeze, but biking in the sun is less pleasant because of all the sweat and sun lotion mixing, and I don't like to bike with a shirt on in the heat, but I do to block the sun, and the small amount of insulation makes it less pleasant to bike. I know this is a male privilege that females don't get to enjoy, but I take what I can get