Old 07-11-17, 08:54 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
@brawlo, I found this from 2012:

Extensive use of wind tunnels has helped show the top British riders how they can make small tweaks to their position on the bike in return for sizeable gains in time and aerodynamics.

"The riders are totally involved in the process and they understand the value of it," says Boardman.

"They've all been to the wind tunnel to look at their position. A tiny change to their elbow can mean more than changing the entire bike. But they won't make changes lightly, so we take them to the wind tunnel to prove to them the benefits.

"When they see the difference, they'll force themselves into a more uncomfortable position if it seems faster, then make an informed decision about where to draw the line between efficiency and aerodynamics."
Olympics track cycling: Will technology win the war for GB? - BBC Sport

So, you are right.

My google-fu is pretty good, but I can't seem to find any pics, much less videos, of sprinters in a wind tunnel with drop bars.

With the Flying 200 being faster and the margins for making the cut getting smaller than ever, I'd imagine that they are all in the wind tunnel cranking it up to 45mph/75kph!

EDIT:

another:

"Chris Hoy's done eight-hour days sitting in a wind tunnel, helping us develop things and improving his own position and committing for four years to change his own position to make himself smaller, because that makes the biggest difference.

"Vicky Pendleton has done the same. They've all been through.

"The rest of the world has known since Beijing – well, they should've known forever – aerodynamics is a massive part of our sport.

"They're doing 50 to 70kph depending on the event, so why aren't wind tunnels a standard component in training? It's ridiculous.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oly...g-success.html

It's worth noting that Hoy or Pendleton didn't ride any events with aerobars in 2012. They only did F200M, Sprints, Team Sprint, and Keirin...all in drop bars. So, it's safe to say that all of that wind tunnel time was in drop bars.

Last edited by carleton; 07-11-17 at 08:59 PM.