Old 07-13-17, 07:37 AM
PDKL45

Bikes: Merida Speeder

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
They would be better off buying the SLR 2 and upgrading whatever they don't like about it.

I think the biggest advantage the SLR 1 has over the SLR 2, is the quality of the crankset and the quality of the gear shifters/derailleurs, so if you update the crankset, as I have done and get around to updating the gearing(which I will eventually do), then they are effectively the same bike.

BTW, did you buy a flat bar AWOL or do a conversion to one?
I actually prefer the 2017 SLR 2 for its Shimano components. I had the same thought as you when thinking about an N+1, but the SLR 1 is the only one available in Korea right now. I remain interested in the Giants, but buying one is now on the back burner.

Long story short, I had a drop bar AWOL before being disgnosed with back problems. I converted my bike to flat bars. It has been almost a year long struggle to find a comfortable position for my back, but I have some things ready to go now and am getting excited about riding again after an injury.

In order not to derail your thread here I may make a separate thread here in Hybrids soon to show you the bike, as it is actually a very good place for it. It's very much a hybrid of road, MTB and tourer these days.