View Single Post
Old 07-13-17, 12:54 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,084 Times in 1,180 Posts
Originally Posted by memebag
I think it is. The OP wants to know if the extra expense for electronic is worth it. Saying "they shift well" doesn't distinguish them from mechanical. If both electronic and mechanical shift well, what does electronic bring to the table?

Sweet. I've only had these 105 5800s a little under a year and I've already had to replace the rear cable. It was a bit of a pain, too, since I didn't have the right tools to snake it through my frame.
I actually said "They shift great". Does Di2 shift better then 105 or Ultegra, well from all reports it's better than both and better than Dura-Ace. Faster and more precise as well as having additional features such as the ability to program what the buttons do, interface with GPS heads, automatically trim the front derailer, etc... Not to mention cheaper to maintain, PROVIDED something doesn't fail out warranty.

Worth it ?. Not to me a year ago. I think it was about $1200 for a 11 piece Ultegra Di2 system (2 shifters, brakes, b-bracket, crank, cassette, chain, F & R shifters, battery & charger, plus cables and junctions) vs. about $850 for Ultegra and $450 for 105. I went 105.

On a new bike such as the Roubaix ?, I can see the attraction at that price point.