View Single Post
Old 07-13-17, 01:42 PM
VaBeachTennis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
It's a modern era Chinese Schwinn. A perfectly fine bike if taken care of properly. I've had one for over 15 trouble free years.

The reaction arm must be 100% immobilized. The strap must fit the frame tightly, with no play, and the arm must be securely tightened to the strap. If it is allowed to move, even a little, the parts inside attempt to unscrew themselves. This will have negative affects on braking and prevent a bearing adjustment from holding.

Are you mechanical? Do you have tools? Coaster brake hubs and Ashtabula one piece cranks/bottom brackets are quite simple. If I came across a bike like that where it's maintenance history is unknown, I'd do a full service on the rear hub, bottom bracket and head set just for peace of mind and a known fresh start.
Thank you, I was trying to find out the model so I could see what component parts (crank, rear hub, etc.)it has. It's a very nice bike, I don't know why he would just throw it away just because he bought a new bike, but thanks to him! It was a little neglected but 40 minutes later she was ready to ride.

There is some slack with the reaction arm, it looks stock to me and the strap is tightened all of the way. The nut inside of the frame and outside of the reaction arm was loose enough to turn by hand. I just checked it out right now and I will take the wheel off and inspect it.

I'm ok mechanically, it's been a long time since I had experience with single speed with the action arms. I more used to road bikes and mountain bikes. That's a great idea to do a full service on this bike. I put 15 plus miles on it yesterday and it was a nice fun change from my road bikes. Now I have to learn how to service Coaster brake hubs.

Thanks for the great advice.