Old 07-14-17, 06:46 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by honeyko
$500 was a handy number (and a useful starting-point for discussion), but isn't hard-set. I can afford just about anything, but aren't a racer or hill-climber in pursuit of diminishing returns, and kinda draw the line at paying more for a bike than a used car. (I bought a '99 minivan for $750 last year and am flogging it like a rented-mule.)

I'm savvy with filtering Craigslist, just hoping to save some time. (I.e., lemon-avoidance, etc.) ...Today's lesson-learned is to walk every time the seller lets on (or I suss out) that they're just a flipper.

FWIW, I'm in Minneapolis (used/CL prices on the high side because it's a bike-town with lots of paths; machines tend to get used less than elsewhere as they're stored in winter, but powdered road-salt will get everywhere and corrode anything corrodible). Newer Euro/Aussie/coastal non-mass-market makes have not much presence here, and Erik's will price 'em like a Porsche.
Not to mention your timing is bad. If Minneapolis is anything like where I live, this is the peak of the cycling season for casual riders especially. Procrastinators who have been planning that big charity ride, or cycling vacation, suddenly realize that old bike from 20 years ago needs some work, or just won't cut it. I stopped by my LBS yesterday for a new tube and never saw the place so busy on a weekday. It surely must be driving CL as well.

Bikes that would sit for days or weeks on CL in December or January get snapped up within hours in July.

Last edited by MRT2; 07-14-17 at 06:49 AM.