wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Amitoj
I thought there are only slow and fast riders

Jokes apart, I have only one working bike, and it has front and rear fenders, lights, one bag under the seat post and one on the top tube. It weighs 30 pounds.
That's the issue, right there! I've been there, commuting on a 30 pound bike plus rack and other stuff, pushing for faster commutes, no pressing need for anything else.

But, seriously, it is very useful for a full-time bike commuter to have a backup bike, for a number of reasons. You might be taking your bike out for recreation or workouts. I'd hate for my bike commuting to get stalled because something happened to my bike during training - it would feel irresponsible. So if you did get a backup bike, with the commuter already set, it might as well be a light nimble road bike that's fun for unencumbered longer rides. "Light" from your perspective might be 22 or 23 pounds, which isn't that hard to come by pretty cheaply.

Maybe I should get myself a faster bike I wonder how that conversation will go with the wife. "Honey, I need to get myself a fast lightweight bike so that I can enjoy the commute on my other bike"
Yeh the safety angle probably doesn't work either, but if it was so you could take your fitness and health to the next level, being more responsible to have a backup or foul weather bike, and maybe have the option to put on better grip, bigger more puncture proof tires that you wouldn't want on your only bike, that might work.

When I got a #2 bike, it was a drop bar road frame that I set up initially as a pure commuter. 1x7, downtube shifters, rack etc, with some parts I had on hand it was a "new" bike without much outlay. I "evolved" it eventually to a bona fide road bike with new wheels, new drive train, everything but the frame set and brakes actually. I don't necessarily recommend that approach over just buying one. but it's worth thinking about different ways to get there.

*thinking about it ... "so I can enjoy the commute more" also seems like an awfully good reason for a new bike.

Last edited by wphamilton; 07-14-17 at 08:37 AM.