View Single Post
Old 07-16-17, 09:46 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by azza_333
So I am wise enough to know that the factory chain lube is the best the chain will ever have (given it gets its lube preassembly), but the factory lube is very sticky/thick, so factory lubes tend to collect grit and grim like no tomorrow. On my tour next month I want to try and keep the bike/drivetrain as clean as possible.

Would I be risking stripping the lube from the internals of the chain, if I use a cloth sprayed generously with chain degreaser, and rub down all 4 side of the chain?
I always remove the factory lube, just for the reason you stated. I generally put the new chain into a small jar (we always have a lot peanut butter jars, but a plastic soda bottle will also work) with a small amount of degreaser, and give it a good shaking. I then do the same thing with hot soapy water, dish detergent, and shake again. The last step is a good rinse under hot water, and hang to dry. If I am in a hurry I use a hair drier to speed up the drying.

IME I get good chain life and the chains are easier to keep clean. I always put a new chain on before any long tour, which for us is annually.