Old 12-28-05, 08:46 AM
PurpleK
Velocipedic Practitioner

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Bianchi Volpe, Trek 5000, Santana Arriva tandem, Pashley Sovereign, among others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The Pontificato

I guess I'm a middle-aged relic.
I'm another middle-aged relic that appreciates the breakfast ride. Glad to know there are still a few of us dinosaurs around. I once lived in a place where we had three or four breakfast joints we would rotate visiting.

Around here, a Saturday morning breakfast ride means chomping down an energy bar while doing 20mph. Much of the social nature of Saturday rides has given way to something based more on competition. I think it's sad. The fun of bike rides is gradually being replaced with something which more closely resembles work, which I believe is turning some people away from cycling. I showed up on my mulelike touring bike once for what was billed as a "slow social" ride, only to find myself surrounded by a pack of lycra clad cheetahs. It does hearten me to see that some of the posters here still have something similar to the true breakfast ride. Perhaps there will be a resurgence in this most social and enjoyable of bike rides.