View Single Post
Old 07-19-17, 12:54 PM
twocicle
Clipless in Coeur d'Alene

Bikes: Tandems: Calfee Dragonfly S&S, Ventana ECDM mtb; Singles: Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, etal.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlpsher
I recently switched from a triple to a double and much prefer the double. Has anyone here also switched from a triple to a double with a wide-range cassette and then went back to a triple because they didn't like the double with a wide-range cassette? I'd like to hear from those who have spent time on both.
Yes, after riding a Di2 2x11 for a couple years we much prefer and are happy with the 3x11 (also Di2) for the close gear ratios.

Contrary to the notion that a triple ring requires more front shifting, the gearing we are using allows us to ride in the middle ring for the majority of time, ranging from 11-25mph with nice tight shift steps and no front shifting required. The 48/36/26 x 11-28 works great for us over most of our typical terrain and have used it in the Los Gatos/Morgan Hill hills and Tucson too up to 14%. Easy enough to toss on a 11-32 or bigger cassette if/when needed (XTR SGS long cage RD capacity). Shifting is smooth and flawless.

This is my main thread on the topic: http://www.bikeforums.net/tandem-cyc...l#post19079472

Last edited by twocicle; 08-02-17 at 09:09 AM.