View Single Post
Old 07-20-17, 01:25 AM
berlinonaut

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jonc123
Not to change the subject, does anyone know the gear inches range for the 6 speed with the -12 sprocket? I'm so used to GI! Interested in the low end, as I have hills also and live where the op lives.
Brompton traditionally publishes this data, just look in the support-section of their website:

https://brompton.zendesk.com/hc/en-u...es-and-ratios-

From experience: The standard setup with the 50t chainwheel is not really adequate for hilly areas and you are better off with the 44t. For really steep hills this is still too long. Fitting a bigger sprocket to the rear wheel is very limited - with some love you might be able to use a 17t instead of the stock 16t.
In this case you could mount an even smaller chainwheel than 44t, either as a single (loosing on the upper end) or as an additional one ("granny-gear", light, cheap and pragmatic), go for a Schlumpf Mountain-Drive (good, but expensive and heavy) or you could buy a single-speed Brommi and convert it to an 8-speed using i.e. the S/A XRF-8-w with 39/25 (again heavy): Bicycle Gear Calculator