View Single Post
Old 07-28-17, 12:26 PM
VaBeachTennis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
It probably has a Shimano CB-E110. Coaster brakes can be funky to disassemble and reassemble if you go at it the wrong way. And often people will attack it from the wrong end because the correct end is counter intuitive. If you know a few tricks it's easier than tying your shoelace. If you run into any snags or hiccups along the way, shoot me a PM and I'll run you through it.

Be careful with youtube videos. There are many that do it the hard way. It gets done, but their methods are clumsy, redundant, messy and time consuming.

Also, and this is critical, do something to completely immobilize the strap. That small amount of up and down motion repeats itself every time you transition from accelerating to braking and vice versa. Every time. That's what caused that big nut to work itself free. Make a shim out of soda can or whatever it takes so there is no slop between the strap and the chain stay. Or you can measure the diameter of your chain stay and buy a snazzy new Sturmy Archer strap in the right size for just a few bucks. And get your self a bigger replacement bolt for the strap if there is slop between the bolt and the strap/arm hole. You want that bolt to be snug in the hole.
So I opened the hub up starting with the sprocket or "drive side" and took the internal parts out on the brake side. I cleaned and lubricated the brake pads, bearing etc. It was pretty easy to reassemble (like a little puzzle) adjusted the cone so that everything spun freely and the wheel had no side to side play. I thought that I was a "genius" my wife was "impressed", I tightened everything up and tested the wheel by pedaling the bike on it's back and it was nice and quiet.

As soon as I put my fat ass on the bike and pedaled it that crazy sound came back at about the 1/2 mile mark. One thing that I didn't pay attention to was the space on the brake side to the frame was a lot less than the space to frame on the sprocket side. I think that was the result of the bike being ridden with a loose coaster brake and it started un doing itself like you stated.

I disassembled the hub again, evened out the space, re-lubricated everything, and it went back together very easily. I thought that I solved the problem but the same sound happened again. The bike glides well and brakes much better as well. Do you think that the problem might be the clutch? The sound does goes away when I ride it for a while but will still come back during the same ride. The best way to describe the sound is that is a ticking, popping, and sometimes grinding sound without any feel of the bike slowing down or any harder effort when I pedal.