Old 07-31-17, 05:23 AM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
I did lay into a rider I don't know in a Masters race, 2015 I think. That was the last time I really laid into someone for a long time, I honestly don't remember when I did such a thing before that. Screamed at him, a number of times. He was repeatedly elbowing and pushing one of the few women in the race, in situations that definitely didn't call for it, and he didn't do it to the men around him, just her, pushing and shoving to claim 20th spot in the field from her. It was bizarre, like he was picking on her specifically. Other than a few "Hey, what the hell?!" she didn't say boo to him, so I stepped in and asked him why he was riding like that.

After the race a few people asked me what happened because they could hear me from the sidelines. Another racer said that he quit racing for a few years because of this guy, that this guy always did such things (first time I'd seen it myself). I even contacted his team "director" (a rider I've known for decades). The team director/leader pshawed it off as "it was just a racing incident" (which made me lose a dramatic amount of respect for the guy). It was one of the two races that year where I was told to remove my camera before the start. Therefore there was no evidence of his shenanigans.

I've talked to more than a few riders about not swerving hard etc, usually in my own races. But those are quiet enough that riders nearby probably won't be able to understand what I'm saying. I'll also say things in the Tuesday Night races, but at some level, certain years, the promoter expected me to offer some advice.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson