J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by dtmoss
Okay, so... I will definitely check the frame out before I do anything else.

But assuming the frame makes for a stable base, I'd love your guys's help on both picking which components to replace first to be conservative (if that's at all possible), as well as picking parts that are inexpensive but not unreliable or horrible quality.

Knowing what you do about the bike (and feel free to ask Qs or suggest more intel), what are the first things I should replace?

I should replace all the cables probably, but after that, start with the rear cassette?

Then if slipping still happens in the mid chain ring, replace only that ring (or option for the whole crankset)?

By the way, thank you to everyone who's participating in this thread. I really appreciate it!
The cassette is probably good. Just clean the livin' bejeezus out of it. Like I said, a complete take-apart-rebuild job will tell you what you need to replace. Use WD-40 or mineral spirits to clean the greasy stuff, and Simple Green to clean any hardened oil.

Get a Park Tool chain checker. If the chain is stretched too badly, that may be the reason your gears are skipping. Study up on it.