mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by dagray
1.5 miles round trip.

A year later and i was doing 15 miles regularly with some 25 mile rides thrown in.

Two years later 15, 25, and 33 miles with a 50 mile ride.
Pretty close to me. First ride was 1.5 miles out and 1.5 back in the month of August. I'm in western PA, so, a lot of hills. Non-stop hills. I rarely see any kind of flat for even a short stretch. I had to climb a big hill to get back to the house. Thought I was going to die.

2nd ride was 5 mile total, same route just further. Again, thought I was going to die. That's when I determined the kids were old enough to leave for a bit and go to the local flat rail trail. Finished the first year off riding 12 miles daily.

Year 2 was daily 12 miles with increases to 20 miles on weekends. I didn't care to be on the bike more than that. It wasn't until year 3 after divorce that I went on a 60 mile ride that I was worried about. After that initial 60 miler, it was a year of riding 60-70 miles on the weekends. I struggled about mile 40 with these rides.

This year, the daily riding doesn't happen as often as it should. Now 70-80 miles is nothing with a group of friends I ride with and I went on my first trip beginning of July riding 70-80 miles 4 out of the 5 days Pitt to DC. The short day was 50 miles and it was a disappointment to only ride 50 miles. That went so well that I was talked into riding the Erie Canal trail 2 weeks later which I just came home from on Saturday morning. We rode 7 days about 60 miles a day. Loved every minute of it.