HBCruiser1

Bikes: 3G Isla Vista Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Nighttrain
It's good to read many beach cruisers see the beach. I've a
4 yr old Bildabike (aluminum frame) that rarely rolls on the beach and a 3G cruiser (rescued from a trash pile) for beach rides. I live 2 blocks from the beach on Isle of Palms.

Post-ride maintenance: fresh water mist/rinse being mindful around hubs/headset/bottom bracket, spray wax, wipe dry, WD 40 to diplace moisture on moving parts, silicone spray on other exposed metals (WD 40 evaporates too quickly). I also switched to KMC rustproof chains on wife's Bildabike and my 2 cruisers. Love these chains.

Aside from buying a cruiser with sealed bearings does anyone else have good ideas for beach dwelling cruisers?
That all sounds like a lot of work! I'm lazy and come to love the rusty patina. When I've ridden on the sand I just put the bike away like any other day after a ride. With the miles I ride (3-5k per year) replacing chains and re-lubing the wheels and BB is just a matter of time. If I had to do all that work after the ride, I wouldn't want to ride on the sand! Occasionally I'll take the chain off and give it a good soaking but chains are cheap, why bother. My time is becoming too valuable to mess with cleaning, just swap it out.