Old 08-02-17, 09:29 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by kayak4water
I bought my Pakit via a kickstarter campaign with 11 speed Alfine, Gates Carbon drivebelt, electric assist. I like electric assist for that last 300' climb to my house on a warm (or hot) day when I just don't want to get home overheated and soaked with sweat. The 2 batteries for the motor are 98 w each, so current FAA regs will permit you to take it aboard. When you order they ask if you are aggressive, relaxed or in between. I said in-between, because I'm not a criterium racer, but when it arrived, I found the cockpit cramped and my back end hurt on a long ride from sitting too upright, even on my beloved Brooks saddle that I moved over from my road bike. The saddle that comes with the Pakit is a WTB Volt which also hurt on much shorter rides than the Brooks, likely from poor fit plus upright posture.

Bike Friday is helping me with fitting the bike to be more comfortable.

The breakdown for putting next to my desk is about 60 seconds. To fit in a Samsonite, you additionally remove the seat post, which is a quick release. I also remove the stem from the front mast, but that's pretty quick with a 4 mm Allen wrench--you might be able to fit it better than I did without that step. It comes with folding pedals. It should all fit in the same case as your Pocket Llama. Mine fit with the rack and rear fender attached. My only problem was the hub motor had a solid axle which made it not fit in my suitcase. It was just an inch high no matter where I put the wheel and even with a pedal removed. If I made a box for the bike, I'd add just that inch so I wouldn't have to put the wheel with my other gear & clothes--the airlines weigh the box, but they don't measure L,Wt. and Ht.

I have a New World Tourist, and I found the breakdown and build, into and out of the suitcase, a bit of a time eater. I'd want to get to the airport or train depot much earlier than I'd have to with a Pakit.

Hope that helps.
Jef f
My understanding is that the stem is a fixed size on the Pakit - not adjustable at all. I know you can get some adjustment by using a riser stem, but how is BF getting it lower for you? Are they redoing the stem? Since you have a NWT (as do I) did you give them the measurements from that for how you like to ride? Or did you just select "in between" instead of providing your custom measurements? Because I would think having a BF already the fit on the new one would be easy to dial in...