Old 08-03-17, 11:37 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
The bike would have been a 1999. I think that they were still making them in my old home state of Wisconsin. I'll check with Trek - maybe they can give me an exact color spec. Heck, I own a Domane Six Series- maybe they'll help a customer out. And yes, Trek did sever all ties with Lemond. And Lemond was in the right. Trek would do themselves a credit if they publicly apologized to LeMond. I'm not holding my breath on that, tho. One guy had written a hilarious message on his frame. Right in front of Greg's signature on the top tube, he'd written "I told you so!" I may steal that idea.

I don't think that the bike is too bad. Pic below. I could just sand down the current finish, derust any spots and get to bare metal at those points, and repaint the thing. Probably overkill. Ideally, I'd just have to repair stuff in the white areas of the paint and could leave the red areas (and decals) alone.

One think I'm anxious to try is something called a "magic eraser". It's a melamine foam sponge. It's really good at removing stains on many finishes. I'll try it on a hidden spot. If it works, and the scratches aren't too bad, and I can get touchup paint that matches, perhaps I can do that and have a clear-coat applied. I will advise.

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 08-03-17 at 11:44 AM.