Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by TwinOaks
Hi Forums.
I'm looking to get some reviews of the alfine internal gear hubs. My drive train is getting worn down and I'm looking at replacing it soon. My rear rim is also getting close to a replacement, so before I go ahead and do both of these I thought it would be a good opportunity for me to look in to getting the Alfine 8 or 11 speed on a new rim for commuting to work. Currently, I have a 34/50 crank and a 10-34 9 speed cassette. The low end is fine, and I don't really get to the top 3 or 4 gears, if I'm going that fast down hill I'll coast. I also don't get out of the saddle to power up some of the more intense inclines. Alternatively, I would build up a 1x9 drive train, pretty much the same as I have now but with a 36 tooth crank.
I was also thinking of putting the Alfine 8 on my MTB. This bike is something I use more for some light commuting, occasional trail riding, and family/fun rides.
Let me know if you have any experience with these and if these hubs have worked out for you.

Thanks.
You need the correct frame for it (or else you'll the results from the first response in this thread.)

If you're trying to force it onto a road/race or an MTB frame and not an IGH-specific frame, it will always be finicky. Personally, I'd look at an entire bike built around an IGR if you're going that way. This will also provide proper frame mounts for fenders, racks and fittings for a dynamo.

Cheap-ish complete packages can be found here:

Catalog in English

Remember that 20% of that cost is sales tax that you won't pay if you can demonstrate that bike is going to the US.