Old 08-08-17, 06:51 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3261 Post(s)
Liked 2,578 Times in 1,534 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
Finished my first triathlon of 2017 yesterday. With very limited training I still managed to average 21.6 on the short 12 mile bike portion. On the positive side it really motivated me to train.
So as my wife and I are leaving the transition area after the race, her pushing her 86 classic, and me pushing my new 87 Miami Vice with disk wheel, a guy shouts cool Ironman. Can I take a picture? I said sure. And he said "those scott aero bars are cool, you don't know what this means to me".
We continue walking and a younger guy fit and fast enough to be rocking only speedos, said cool bike.
For me personally, my Miami Vice did exactly what it was supposed to do:
1. Get the maximum out of my current limited fitness level.
2. Pass so much Carbon or very New bikes.
3. Get admiration or attention from fellow competitors.
Thanks Ironman.
Sorry guys, I've been busy. I need to check back in more often.

A couple of years ago, I was rolling out on the pre race ride of a tri. A pack of about 10 young, hardcore riders come by on their high end machines. They are giving me a sneer until the last rider rolls by. He is about my age.(in his 50's) He appears to be a mentor/coach of sorts. He says something like "Sweet Ironman!" He tells the group to slow down and let me pass. He then starts an oral presentation on the history of Tri, Dave Scott, Scott Tinley, Mark Allen, Scott Molina, Mike Pigg, Ironmans, etc. They slowly roll by taking another gander at the bike and giving me different look than before. I'm sure there was some good conversation in that group that day.