Old 08-09-17, 01:34 PM
motorapido

Bikes: 1976 Schwinn Super Le Tour, tricked out with modern components. Shimano Alfine 11 internal gear hub. Dynamo hub. Titanium racks and bottle cages. Mercier Kilo Wide Tire dropbar singlespeed

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 1 Post
Upgrading: expensive, but fun

Originally Posted by buddawithbeer
i'm new here.

i'm new to fixed gear bike. i purchased new 2016 fuji track. the chrome moly one. i like it. been riding it for few weeks. seat was uncomfortable, so i upgrade the seat and the post. didn't like the drop bar so got a new drop bar. i want to go faster so started looking at wheel and larger chainring. to match the chainring, started looking at cogs.

i paid very good price for the bike, but the upgrades are adding up and already costing more than the bike itself.

if i do get the wheelset and other things, that would be like a brand new italian steel bikes.

so when is it more beneficial to keep on upgrading, and when is it too much? i like fuji track, but is it worth upgrading it to a point where the upgrades are much more expensive than the bike itself? and if i do buy italian steel bike, would i be end up upgrading again?

pete
Sometimes you get attached to a bike and you keep upgrading as interesting new components come along. I've been doing this to a particular frame that I bought new in 1976. I've spent a fortune on upgrade after upgrade, had a great time, and have become a good bicycle mechanic. Heck, last year I bought a new bikesdirect singlespeed commuter, upgraded all the components, and just recently upgraded the frame. At that point, I upgraded the wheels again. So it goes. It's like the old story of the guy who brags that he got a great auction bargain buying the ax that George Washington used to cut down the cherry tree. He says to his friends, of course, over all these years, a prior owner replaced the handle, and another owner replaced the blade. 😁