Old 08-12-17, 10:42 AM
Pars 

Bikes: '73 Raleigh RRA, 1986 Trek 500 commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
1. I have Campag. sidepulls on the Bianchi, and they were dangerous with Shimano pads, but now work well for me with modern cables, KoolStop pads, and Shimano aero brake handles, which fit my hands properly while providing 15 percent more leverage than the originals, which also were slightly "out of reach" for me to grab a fistful of brake in an emergency stop.

2. You can easily distinguish butted from plain gauge tubing by measuring the seat post diameter, since "double butted" tubing is not butted at the top of the seat tube. (For your bike, 27.2mm would indicate the good stuff; 26.4 to 26.6, plain gauge.)
Good advice. I've used the KoolStops (both red and black) but like the new production Campy pads better (stop just as well, don't squeal, which I had a problem with on the KS pads).
New Genuine Campagnolo Super Nuovo Record Brake Pads New Genuine Campagnolo Super Nuovo Record Brake Pads [8032758978913] - $29.00 Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage bike

I'm using Campy Athena or something aero levers with mine; haven't used the original NR levers in quite some time, but still have them.