View Single Post
Old 08-12-17, 06:18 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by Sangetsu
32km today. I rode from my home to Tokyo's old execution grounds in Minami Senju and back. 250,000 people were executed during the Edo period at this place.
Well, aren’t you a cheery fellow!

Seriously, thanks for the history lesson/travelogue.

What a ride you had: the untouchables, the executed, the road of pimps, the graveyard of the unwanted .... and Skid Row.

Here in Flatahoma “history:” tends to be, “Yeah, that used to be the Drive-In, then they closed that down, then it was the Dairy-Freeze, then that closed down .... now it is a scrubby lot full of windblown trash.” Nothing is 200 years old, let alone 500 years old or much older.

You should write more about your rides.

Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
Did my first 30 miler of 2017 today at an average speed of 15.7 MPH on my Roam-2. Today I'm a proud old fart!
Good for you.

Last Sunday I planned to do a metric century, and found out that I was only good for 44.5 miles. My average rides are 15-25 miles .... but like you, I am proud.

I don’t care how many people do a metric century to warm up for their imperial double-century. I am proud of myself every time I get out the door on my bike. I know the real and profound sense of accomplishment involved in finishing a 30-mile ride---and nearly 16 mph? Outstanding!

I still recall my first 30-miles-in-two-hours ride since I got back on the bike. I remember being about three miles from home and thinking “Right There I went far enough ... but I have to get home so I won’t quit yet.” I remember the thrill of seeing “15.0 mph” on the average speed display.

Today I went out in a very light drizzle which turned into a very heavy rain after about six minutes. Luckily it is August, so I didn’t have to go back for special clothing—I wouldn’t have come back out.

About a third of the way in, Ii passed a guy on a motorcycle (going the other way, of course) and he waved---which is a little odd, because the “biker” types tend not to. The feeling I got was he was saying, “Yeah, only people who Really want to ride are out here today.”

That was exactly my feeling. I had only gotten one ride all week, a ten-miler, and I needed it. I got out of work early—finished early, didn’t just leave early—and didn’t waste any time—I left the office promptly, geared up, and headed out. Normally I have to wait until evening because of the heat (I can’t do the heat any more—working indoors I am no longer acclimatized) and too often I get home and run down and need a nap and miss the chance.

This day, I was determined—a little drizzle wasn’t stopping me. And when it turned into a downpour, I found the biggest problem I had was the aero drag from my mile-wide grin. I really enjoyed it.

I might not have made it 30 miles—but boy, howdy did I have fun.