Old 08-14-17, 06:55 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 411 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer

...try ATF mixed 50/50 with acetone (paint department at Home Depot).

...you'll get better, more positive shifting with NR if you use indexed cable housings.

...I ride all over in a similar setup, but not with street shoes. I use a modified shimano mountain/touring shoe with no cleats and the front of the soles thinned out with a angle grinder.

...yeah, a lot of posts are extra long now. Cutting them down saves a lot of bother.

...you can do better than a steel stem, but to each his own.

...this is important. Don't use the Wald seat stay clamp for mounting. There's no way to get it tight enough on the stays to not sip under a loaded condition without risking damage to your (probably 531) stays. Instead, drill out the rivets on the basket clamping bar, and use the proper size, vinyl coated P clamps, nuts, and bolts from the hardware store on each individual clamp to stay mounting. Much better solution.
Thanks for all that.

I'll look into that derailleur housing. The brake adjuster finally broke loose, so I did not need the ATF/Acetone mix even though I have both ingredients here. I did not really want a steel stem, but took the Death Stem with me to Velo Orange to ensure handlebar fit; it was no-go, I took what they had the had the right diameters for the bars and the fork. That's good input on the basket mounting, I have the rubber-coated clamps; I might play around with wing nuts for a demountable solution.