Old 08-15-17, 06:06 PM
zachstep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Moving on from a Trek DS

Ok,
So a few years ago I bought a Trek DS. Basically ride on the road with maybe 3 trips off road. Great bike, but not fast by any means. Even swapped out to smaller tires and didn't gain much. Borrowed a road bike and got 6mph faster on the same route I normally take. Granted I'm certain the gear set also had something to do with it as well.

Anyways, I'm conflicted here.

I road a carbon fiber Domane, felt great and was fast (I would hope so for the price) but my Saris rack isn't really compatible with a carbon frame so add in around $300 more for a newer rack to carry it. I'd ride local but there are too many dump trucks this year due to the construction on the main road they normally take.

I also road a Domane ALR 4, felt a little cramped, didn't have my phone telling me my speeds because I was in a new area with more traffic and wanted to hear everything around me. And then a 1.2. Also felt a little cramped but seemed easy.

I took a Crossrip 2 around a small parking lot and it felt very good, my back stayed straight (bad lower disc) even though I was in a more road riding position.

I have a feeling the Cross Rip will be the answer, but I'd like to know if it with the 105 group set and a set of road tires will allow me to keep pace with people with true road bikes?

The 1.2 has a good spot for me because it can also handle racks and allow me to bolt (I have no idea how those kid bike seat things stay connected) the young one in place while I ride (which reminds me, any good helmets for toddlers?) or I can hopefully handle a load from Wal-Mart if I decide it's a great day to ride (and wander wally world in my bright yellow shirt).

Anyways, what does everyone think? I can weight the pros and cons all day, but in the end I want a bike faster than my dual sport (and soooooo much lighter for those stupid hills) that will let me join in on some faster and longer rides, with the option to carry some gear or the kid. Yes I know the gear will be rare and the kid will only be on back for a yearish or two before they have their own and I'm cracking a whip for them to peddle faster .

Thanks guys