f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by speshelite
To put it politely, this ^ is total drivel. I overestimated the size disparity but the linear pull pads are nonetheless much larger (if not 4x the size in total surface area) and generate vastly more stopping power. Try it yourself on your road. You'll notice a similar advantage especially the stock dual pivots are junk like the axis'. Armed with very large linear pull pads stopping power is excellent and very little effort is required at the lever.

1st of all, you don't have any experience with my setup because you haven't swapped out the stock pads on your dual pivots for the dual compound kool stop linear pull pads.

2nd, it's not an assumption it's a hypothesis which could easily be tested. Go take a look at the GCN comparison. Only an idiot thinks a crabon rim is an ideal surface for braking. Common sense dictates that wet braking disparity is significantly reduced, likely halved with alu rims, if not more. Add a larger pad, re: the hack I describe, and that reduces the gap even further, possibly eliminating it altogether.

I dare anyone to conduct a valid comparison. I guarantee no one will do so because the entire cycling industry will look stupid. Even if discs wind up with a small advantage very few riders appreciate an extra lb of weight plus a 10 watt disadvantage due to aero drag.

Discs are a gimmick and a marketing scam. I can see discs being advantageous for riders who a) ride in sludge a large percentage of the time and b) are too lazy to sipe down rims and pads after wet rides. Otherwise, there's precious little to recommend discs for road use.

And there's no reason to avoid wiping down rims and pads after a ride in the rain or mud. After all, you have to clean and oil your chain-what's a couple of extra minutes to wipe down rims and pads?

Let's say you ARE too lazy to wipe down rims and pads. What's the cost of total negligence? A durable entry level wheel costs $60 to $70 at an lbs. Even less online. Let's say you trash 2 wheels a year. That's an investment of $120 a year. Hardly a king's ransom.

How much does an entry level road bike with hydro's cost? $3K or so. It would take TWENTY FIVE YEARS of annual 2 wheel replacements every single year to match the expense of a new bike (after all you can't upgrade the brakes alone). And you wouldn't even be paying up front. You'd pay in tiny installments, and only if you totally neglected any semblance of maintenance whatsoever.
The gauntlet hath been thrown.