Old 08-16-17, 11:52 AM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Nope. Back in my 30's I kind of got an itch to ride for exercise. My wife got me a Huffy for C'mas. I rode it that winter in the early, pre-dawn mornings. Only about 20-30 minutes. After a few months of that, that pre-dawn frigid temperatures got old. I'd occasionally get an itch and ride a 5 miler on Sunday afternoons but never really had much fun. Eventually dropped off completely.

Long story short, ended up with an old Trek hybrid I just puttered around on occasionally but I really liked jogging. I had a knee surgery brought about by jogging. My ortho doctor said, "Quit jogging, your knees won't take it at your age. After the 2nd knee surgery he asked, "What did you not understand about not jogging?" Ride a bike if you want exercise (he let me test ride his mountain bike) So I dragged out the Trek, and I got to the point I did a few rides at the unbelievable distance of about 15 miles, including climbing back up the mountain to our home! So I bought a mountain bike,
...and then a road bike...

My world changed with the road bike. I rode it 20, then 30 then over 40 miles! Eventually went over 60 miles, and Saturday mornings became a ritual to do 40+ mile rides. I've never been athletic and felt I was a different person. I mentioned to a co-worker, "Someday I'd like to try and ride 100 miles" having never heard of a "century" nor did I know if it was even possible. And so a few weeks later, on one Saturday, I was at 70+ miles and feeling pretty good so I decided to go for 100. I finished my first (unplanned) 103 mile ride that day and it was the next day when telling someone they used the term "Century". Couple months after I rode my second Century but planned it that time.

Anyway in answer to the OP's question, no, I never dreamed I'd ride these distances nor dreamed I would consider a 20 mile ride a "short" ride, 25-40 miles a "normal" ride and 45 miles+ a "long" ride.