Old 08-19-17, 10:10 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I have an all matte black non-MIPS Overtake. Best helmet I've ever had.

Pros
  • acts like an aero helmet, but cools like a normal helmet
  • absolutely bee-proof
  • doesn't shove the earpieces of my sunglasses into my ears (which my Kali liked to do)
  • alarmingly light, even in Large
  • comes in like a zillion colors
  • looks moderately less dorky than other helmets, which all look pretty dorky... so it is marginally less dorky
  • comes with two complete inner pad sets, which is just nice

Cons
  • okay, maybe it doesn't cool exactly as well as a traditional helmet-- but I've worn it above 100º and been fine. So this is a maybe-con.
  • if you don't have hair ( I don't) the bit at the back with the click adjuster can press on your neck, so I have to position my helmet liner just right
  • sits a little higher-- which for some may actually be a pro-- but I had gotten used to the rim of the helmet being barely above the tops of my glasses. The Overtake sits up about an inch above the glasses, but I think that's because it's designed to be ridden with the head angled down a little. So it's a sorta-con for me, but not for everyone

I haven't ridden it in the rain to see what the Koroyd does in that situation-- but probably won't, as I still have a Bolle The One which has clip-in covers making it about 95% rainproof. The Overtake is significantly lighter (nearly 25%,) and even cooler than the Bolle. No issues at all with the straps or clip.

Full disclosure, I bought it specifically to combat bees. Prior to owning the Smith, I had so many bees go in the vents I'd lost count. And I'm not gonna cut up some old nylons and wrap them over the helmet to keep bees out.