Old 08-20-17, 06:57 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Silvercivic27
Thanks for that link. I have the Octal Mips and like it a lot. If this is better than the MIPs, that's all good. My family has too much experience with head injuries and two of us need to take more care than most. So this would be a good upgrade. I do like the idea that they are using EPP foam - none of the cumulative damage issues that EPS has.

Originally Posted by Jadesfire
Hi all,

I didn't think the first thread I'd start in the 41 would be a helmet thread, but here I go.
I'm looking to get a new helmet to replace the Bell I'm currently wearing. I'm at the point where I'd like to start upgrading some of my gear and don't mind spending a bit more this time around. The Smith Overtake is one I am interested in at the moment. None of the LBSs in my area carry them (they have Bell, Giro- which would be my second choice-, and Lazer), so I thought I'd ask here if anyone has one and are they worth the money- particularly in terms of comfort and fit. And whether you have the MIPS version or not (I am leaning towards MIPS myself). I'm commuting a couple of times a week via bike and I'm slowly increasing my weekly mileage and ride lengths, and I do wear a Headsweats cap as well. Amazon in particular has reviews that state that the chin straps leave something to be desired, so that would be another point I'd be interested in hearing about.

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions.
I had looked at the Overtake helmet but this review put me off. I know it's an oldish review, but their claim is that the material used makes it difficult for cooling and it makes sense to me that it might. Maybe that's been fixed. The other reason is that I can scratch my head through the vents of my current helmet which is kind of a big deal for me (for some stupid reason).

But as mentioned prior - you need to try them on. It's hard to get it right otherwise. So my vote would be to check the POC Octals if they're on your list and maybe hold out for the new one early next year.

J.